Trends in Technology: STEM



STEM in the classroom, but why?

Courtesy of GIPHY
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math or STEM as people like to call it has been growing over the years now that technology in school and in the classroom has become more common. So, now that we have technology in the classroom why not use it to implement STEM?!

As mentioned in my previous post, this is my first year teaching. These past few days have been incredibly overwhelming, but oh so rewarding! Teaching in the 21st century means implementing STEM into the curriculum and school day. Throughout my time student teaching, my 1st graders were given the opportunity to go twice a month to maker space. At maker space, students learned how to design, build, code, and use their imagination to create something through hands-on learning! Students as young as 5 were becoming involved in coding, something I thought was only possible in middle school! To see their involvement and love for STEM grow made me wonder, how can I, as a future educator get my students involved in STEM? Now that I have my own classroom, it is a bit difficult to implement STEM everyday of our school day, however, I can implement STEM boxes. STEM boxes are a great resource to have in the class for students to discover, build, design, and learn from when they finish early with their work or as a prize. 

Please watch my video presentation where I explain more about STEM!

View Slides Here: 



Let's implement change with STEM in the classroom!

As teachers, we can help students from thinking certain careers are male-dominant or women-dominant and inspire them to dream their future career is possible! Debbie Sterling, a woman engineer created Goldiblox for young girls to become inspired to build, design and become engineers. Posted on the Goldiblox website is "Curiosity killed the stereotype" Thus, having young girls engaged in STEM toys such as Goldiblox helps tackle the stereotype that STEM jobs are for men only. 

Watch the Goldiblox commerical BELOW!!
(If you love Beastie Boys, I'm sure you will love this mix!) 
A lyric from the commercial is, "Girls to grow up knowing that they can engineer that!" Watching the commercial gave me inspiration to be able to teach and implement STEM in the classroom for all of my students to become inspired by. 

RESOURCES

Below are some additional resources related to STEM and how you can integrate STEM in your classroom! 

1.  STEM video
This 2 minute video provides you an overview on what STEM is

2. How to implement STEM in the classroom
This blog provides educators (or anyone else) ideas and tips on how to implement STEM throughout the school day. 

3. Bee Bots in the classroom
This link will direct you to a YouTube video by SuccessAcademies that shows you children coding and interacting with Bee Bots in their classroom. 

4. Code & Go Programmable Robot Mouse
This YouTube video shows you how a robot mouse is used to code and implement STEM!

5. Where will STEM be in 5 Years?
This article discusses how STEM will be implemented in the classroom and how it will look like in the years to come. 

6. Why is STEM so Important?
This website gives you information and demographics about STEM in the classroom. 



7.  Inspiring the next generation of female engineers | Debbie Sterling | TEDxPSU
This link (or video to your left) will show you a TED talk led by Debbie Sterling, founder of GoldiBlox, a toy to inspire girls to become engineers and not just princesses. 


GET INSPIRED. IMPLEMENT STEM!!

Comments

  1. Great set of resources! I appreciate that they are annotated- I can find exactly what I need instead of having to click on each.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Framework of TPACK

Digital Tools