Digital Tools


What is Classkick?

This week, our focus for EDU 776 is to explore a tech tool that is not commonly used in our daily teaching. Throughout my first week of orientation, I was constantly hearing of the tech tool "Classkick". Many teachers in my district swear by it and use it daily. Although there is this huge hype about Classkick, I never really immersed myself in this tech tool. Thus, I decided to finally check it out for myself!

Please watch my video on the left to learn more! You can also view my Google Slides here


Classkick is a free app teachers can use to assign formal assessments or any other school work. Students are able to work at their own pace to complete assignments. As students are completing their work, the teacher is able to observe how for along each student is taking to respond and view their progress overall. Something I found very interesting about ClassKick is that students can privately ask a question about something they are unsure of to the teacher. I think this is a great benefit to have because often times students are afraid to ask a question or ask for help. Asking privately ensures that the students are learning and that growth is occurring. 

Teachers are also notified about questions students are responding incorrectly. This is another benefit because you as the educator can decide if you would like to pull students to have 1:1 time on a certain unit of study or decide if the whole class needs to be retaught. 

Being in a dual classroom, our day is primarily in Spanish. However, 80% of the students only speak English at home so it can become difficult at times to teach a lesson and ensuring everyone is comprehending the instructions. With Classkick, I can be able to submit audio instructions (as well as drawing, images, or written instruction) for the students to listen to, creating differentiation. 

So what's the verdict?

via GIPHY.com

After researching this tech tool I hope to begin incorporating it in my classroom in the next week to come! I hope to use Classkick during our Reading workshops. I think the first assessment I will create will revolve around their sight words. Upon analyzing their responses, I can collect the data needed to create mini groups to work with certain students who need the additional support. 

Resources

1. Classkick Video- Watch a quick 80 second video about Classkick by Classkick! 

Comments

  1. I'm happy to see that you focused on a tool that others in your building are already using. From your video I can see how this can be used differently from Seesaw to help you collect data to inform your practice (not to share with parents). Thanks for sharing your plans to give it a try. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! What a cool tool! I really like how you noted that this is a great tool for a dual language classroom. It definitely supports differentiation. I also liked how you pointed out the positive things like the students being able to privately ask questions and how the teacher is able to monitor their work in order to decide if an intervention is needed. I will definitely check this out. Thank you for all the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    Year back I used to have to record myself reading a text for students who were extremely low readers, now I tend to do that with my esl students. The fact that there is a recording option here is great! Also the free part is awesome too. I found a few digital tools that I was considering to use, but there wasn't much I could do with them on the free version. Seems that this is a great tool for assessment, I wonder how it would play out for a high school setting?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Framework of TPACK

Trends in Technology: STEM